Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lines To A Nymphet

Lines to a Nymphet

A Poet's Dilemma


What can I say,
Without being ridiculous;
What!
That you will believe
And understand?

I know what I can't say -
And why!

I can't say I love you:
You'd never believe,
That knowing you a little,
I could feel so much.

I can't say I want you:
You'd misunderstand
My motives
And be afraid.

I can't ask you to
Be mine alone:
It wouldn't be fair
To tie you down.
You'd say no,
And maybe
Never see me again.

I can't describe
In poetry,
Of lesser beauty than yourself,
Your attributes,
Your youthful charms,
Or you would call me
Lecher!

But
What can I say,
At which one
So young
Will not take
Offense.

Perhaps
I'll get by with this:

Moments spent with you
Are little bits
Of Heaven;
Pure,
Sweet,
Joyous
Times.

It doesn't matter
What
or
Where:
only
Who -
That's you!

If mere moments are so heavenly,
Think what days, weeks, years might be.

Dec 1969


Editor's Note: I love that last stanza, "If mere moments are so heavenly,
Think what days, weeks, years might be." That, people, is romance! That's what poetry and poetic composition is all about, surely? To say so much, so eloquently and yet also so enjoyable to read (out loud of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment