Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Meeting

Across a crowded room I see
(As vividly as I did then -
Though now it's just a memory -
One of many I will pen)

A pair of shining eyes on me
Fixed strong enough to hold me still
And make mine open up to see
And, having seen, to drink their fill.

Beyond those brilliant orbs I glanced
And found a frame of ebon hair
Which, though by eyes I was entranced,
Of my attention begged a share.

The lustre, radiance of that crown
(As brightest light, though deepest black)
Shown round the haunting eyes of brown
Which at my own were staring back.

Within that frame of beauteous hair,
Which hung below the shoulder line,
And which, I know, by nightly care
Was kept to looking just that fine,

There was a face which I bethought
Was fit to house those eyes sublime
And held the things which men have sought
As beauty from the start of time:

A soft, round face with glowing cheek,
A nose just broad enough to please,
The mouth not even slightly weak
With two full lips (Which seemed to tease

My own with thoughts of kisses sweet,
And so made me return the smile
Which made that picture so complete -
The one enthralling me the while.)

The skin, a creamy cocoa colour,
Which never had a blemish known,
And textured soft and smooth as velour,
Shone with a radiance all its own.

Held by those eves enraptured still
I stood and could not look away,
Nor did I wish to, for my will
Was that I ever thus would stay:

On beauty gazing constantly,
Daring not to blink for fear
That, eyes reopened instantly,
This vision would not reappear.

The crowd between us grew until
My vision soon was lost to view
Behind a mass of lace and frill.
The part now was past the few

Who had been there when first I saw
Those eyes which seemed to dance and play.
A friend of mine began to draw
Me toward a group and so away.

And though I meant to go and find
A passage to the other wall,
I soon decided that my mind
Had played a trick and that was all.

And soon my thoughts were turned to drink
And appetizers here and there
Around the room. And did I think
The party fun? And would I care

To come again another time?
Oh Mr. Lassen. And you're whose guest?
And would I like my drink with lime?
To all these questions I addressed

Myself in the post proper way,
Until they thought I did belong.
I really did not want to stay;
I'd been uneasy all along.

United Nations parties are,
In my opinion, quite a bore
For all the people there are far
Above my station on the floor

Of this great world society.
For duty to a friend I went
And so endure the misery -
In all, an evening badly spent.

From one of many groups I turned
Expecting one more just the same;
But two dark eyes into mine burned,
And then at once I felt the shame


Of failing earlier to read
The message there - I'm lonely here.
Won=t you please come and talk - the need
Which now had brought that vision near.

It was no vision but instead
Beneath the eyes and face and hair -
That beauteous sight on which I'd fed -
There was a body beyond compare.

Smooth curves correctly placed,
Her bosom owned more than its share
Of youthful firmness; she was graced
With legs (the most beautiful pair

That ever I had seen before)
So smooth, and shaped so perfectly -
That I could not but help adore.
And looking was such ecstasy.

Erect and straight she stood with pride
(And that she had good cause to do)
While in her lonely gnawing vied
With all the etiquette she knew.

I could not speak, for fear that she,
A goddess, or a princess sure
Of some far-distant land, might be
Offended by my overture.

But still her burning eyes held mine
And sensed perhaps my growing dread
Of losing here, a sight so fine.
The soft and calm - Hello - she said.

My heart, which jumped a thousand feel,
Was slowly floating back to me.
I found the courage to repeat -
Hello - and waited breathlessly.

She spoke again, and soon at ease
(No goddess or a princess, she
Wished only one to talk with. Please
Would I but keep her company?)

I too began to voice my thought
And, in my proper manner still,
Gave thanks to what ever Fate had brought
Us here, each other's need to fill.

So thus it was the evening passed
But all too soon it had to end;
It could not be that this could last,
That I had found a friend.

Then most tactful and polite
Asked if I might, with pleasure great,
Call her upon the morrow night
And then perhaps arrange a date.

I dared not hope that she'd consent
To such a plan, and was about
To say I hadn't really meant
Offense, and then go out

For it was time for me to leave,
When she said that she'd love to hear
From me. I could not quite believe
I'd had a chance with one so dear.

I kissed her gently on the hand
And held it long within my own,
Then said good-bye, it had been grand
And promised that I soon would phone.

But she would not my hand release
And I could hardly bear to leave;
I kissed her brow, again made peace,
But still her hand to mine did cleave.

I could not bear to thus depart
While feeling there was more than this;
I knew she'd given me her heart
So on her lips I placed a kiss.

Ten thousand times ten thousand feet
My heart flew up as I walked away.
I'd never had a kiss as sweet,
Nor have I to this day.

Feb 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment